Elm Lodge Fees

Fees charged by Elm Lodge are reviewed once a year, with any increase being notified in March to apply from a given date in April.

When carrying out the annual review, any increase is calculated considering the rate of inflation, and the percentage increase paid by the local social services, whose fees are also reviewed at this time of year. We can guarantee that our annual increase will not exceed 10% of the current fee at the time of review. Residents receiving nursing care have part of their fee funded by the NHS, based on the outcome of a nursing assessment.

Residents whose fees are paid for by social services will be notified of the annual increase to any contribution paid to the home as soon as we are given this information by social services. Any such increase is linked to a corresponding increase in pensions/income of the resident, (or change in the resident's capital balance for those receiving partial funding from social services).

Amongst other things our fees include accommodation, personal care in accordance with an individual care plan for each resident, meals and in-house entertainment.

Please note there are a few items not covered by the fees charged by Elm Lodge. If a resident wishes to use any such product or service, an additional charge may be made, based on the charge by the relevant supplier. This relates to hairdressing, newspapers, any private treatments including chiropody, dental or optical care provided by the NHS, private physiotherapy etc.

Basic toiletries are provided by the home, but any special preference should be purchased by the resident or their family, as must personal clothing and footwear.

We would advise residents not to bring valuable possessions into the home, but if they choose to do so, the resident or their family should arrange appropriate insurance cover.

If you have any queries about our fees, please contact us.

Payment of fees to Elm Lodge

Self funded clients

For those residents paying the full cost of their care, fees are payable four weeks in advance.

Clients funded by social services

For those whose care is paid for by Social Services or other funding sources, there will normally be a contribution due from the residents, e.g. from pension and income support monies. This type of payment is made four weekly in arrears.

Clients fully funded by the NHS

Under some circumstances a client’s care may be paid for in full by the NHS, e.g. due to meeting the criteria for Continuing Health Care (CHC). In these cases, a hospital consultant, G.P., district nurse or social worker will have applied for, and had confirmation of, this funding, prior to the client's admission to the home.

Alternatively, a changes in health needs lay lead to assessment for CHC whilst living at Elm Lodge.

To simplify our payments system, we have set dates for payment, which will be advised prior to requesting the first payment. Regular invoices will be sent if requested.

Each resident is provided with two copies of our terms of contract. This may be signed by the resident, or, in the event that the resident is unable or does not wish to deal with payment of their own fees, a sponsor - this may by a relative, power of attorney etc., who is to be the person responsible for payment of Elm Lodge's fees.

Payments may be made by cheque (payable to Elm Lodge), cash or standing order.

Paying for Care

At Elm Lodge, we understand that moving into care can be daunting, as can looking into the process of paying for care, and we hope that these key points about paying for care will help explain the financial situation.

Understanding the different care home charges

Generally, the charges for staying in a care home are split into two types:

Financial assistance towards care

Usually there is some financial support available to residents in nursing or residential homes. When considering a move to a care home you may wish to contact the Local Authority Social Services Department for the area where you (the potential resident) normally live. Assuming they have the funds available, they will carry out both clinical and financial assessments. The clinical assessment determines what type of care package is best suited to your needs, and the financial assessment looks at your income and savings to determine whether you are required to contribute towards all or part of your care.

Personal Care and Accommodation Costs

If your capital is below the government set lower capital limit for England then the Local Authority may pay for the cost of your residential or nursing home care, although you will still need to pay a contribution towards this from your income. The Local Authority may still pay for your care if your capital is between the lower and upper capital limit, but, in addition to your income, for every £250 you are over the lower limit they will subtract £1 per week from their contribution. If your capital is over the upper capital limit you will have to pay the full costs of your accommodation and personal care. However, if your capital should fall below the upper limit while you are in a care home then you may apply to the Local Authority for funding assistance. (See “What to do when my savings run out”)

Nursing Costs

If you require nursing care, the NHS will contribute to the costs of your nursing care regardless of whether it is you or the Local Authority paying for your care. This is called the 'Registered Nursing Care Contribution' (RNCC). This will be paid by the NHS to the care home, either directly or via the Local Authority. If your nursing needs are very high, you may be eligible to have the NHS pay all of your care fees under the Continuing Health Care scheme (CHC). This will be determined at the same time as you are assessed for nursing needs.

What to do when my savings run out

If your savings fall below the Government set upper capital limit, you may be able to get help with funding. When your savings approach this limit, you should contact your Local Authority or Trust Social Services Department so they can carry out a financial assessment. However, financial assistance cannot be guaranteed and you will still be liable for your care home costs up until the time that the Local authority or Health Board Trust begin making payments on your behalf.

Who can I contact for more advice?

Your local Social Services Department

Tel: 0300 300 8033

The Benefits Agency

Tel: 0800 882 200 or www.direct.gov.uk

Age Concern

Tel: 0800 808 6060 or www.ageconcern.co.uk

Help The Aged:

Tel: 0800 800 6565 or www.helptheaged.org.uk

Counsel and Care:

Tel: 0845 300 7585 or www.counselandcare.org.uk

SAGA Care Funding Advice:

Tel: 0800 056 7996 or www.saga.co.uk/ltc

Want to pay us a visit to see for yourself? Please ring 01525 371117.